POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Softglow example : Re: Softglow example Server Time
4 Aug 2024 08:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Softglow example
From: ABX
Date: 18 Aug 2003 07:12:37
Message: <kvb1kv849pdudia8tj9jj8gpo90ag0v6no@4ax.com>
On 18 Aug 2003 06:51:37 -0400, "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <spa### [at] raf256com> wrote:
> > And please note, you did not proposed patch. You usually imagine/propose
> > _feature_ and only promise patches :-)
>
> And my SpecFlar is what, an FPP game ;) ?
> Yes it is as separate program. I wrote in only in 3 hourse (one day
> including test image screation and render).

SpecFlar does not introduce any of features you proposed while feature you
described in last post takes about 10 minutes for experienced programmer with
some basic rayracing knowledge (implement output to text file from within a
loop over image pixels and recompile). I imagine you are experienced
programmer if you need only 3 hours for writing whole pretty advanced
application :-)

> I use MinGW and if pov 3.5 can't be yet compiled by it - it's a problem for
> me if I want to change pov code.

Wrong. MinGW is not able to compile raw POV with _WinGUI_. There should be not
problem with compiling console application and MegaPOV is available for almost
8 months with makefile for MinGW.

  http://megapov.inetart.net/download.html

I think that having this link you are able to implement feature you mentioned
for tomorrow? In the meantime can you give me reference to the thread I asked?

> >   Why ? If you can output it with 16 bit per color resolution in
> >   format readable for other image manipulation apps why to introduce
>
> In with format can I store informations about RGB each pixel, is it a light
> source and how bright, is this an hit-point of monster for my game, what is
> normal of this pixel, how far is it from camera.
> It would need about 5 channels.

What's wrong with having it in 2 images with 3 channels each ?

> And yes, this is usefully, if arguemnt about monster in game etc is'nt so
> good for graph artistis, I hope a little demo I'm making would be
> interesting.

Rafal, You will spend more time preparing such demo than implementing text
output within loop for own purposes for yourself. Really! Why you are so lazy
to undestand it? Moreover post processing patch since its begining in old
MegaPOV does exactly what you want.

ABX